Liverpool's title defence in tatters

Manchester City have opened up a commanding five-point lead at the top of the Premier League as Ilkay Gundogan scored twice in a 4-1 victory at Liverpool for whom keeper Alisson endured a Sunday afternoon to forget.

An emphatic win, City's 10th in a row in the league and first at Anfield since 2003, moved Pep Guardiola's side to 50 points from 22 games, five more than second-placed Manchester United who have played a game more.

Champions Liverpool are now 10 points behind City in fourth spot and if any more evidence were needed that they have gone off the rails it was the sight of Alisson, a rock for the past two seasons, effectively gifting City the points.

In the space of three second-half minutes he twice passed the ball straight to an opposing player, allowing first Gundogan to grab his second goal, after Mohamed Salah had levelled from the penalty spot, and then Raheem Sterling to make it 3-1.

The excellent Phil Foden capped a superb day for City with his side's fourth to leave Liverpool crestfallen.

Fourth-placed Liverpool are the first reigning top-flight champions to lose three successive home league games since Chelsea in 1956 and they are a massive 27 points worse off than at the same stage of last season.

For City, who have won 14 straight games in all competitions, they are now huge favourites to claim a third title in four seasons.

"It's brilliant, every player wants to play in big games like this and we showed that courage from minute one," Foden said. "We definitely forced the errors, it's something we're working at in training."

A nondescript opening half had few chances with Sadio Mane heading over for Liverpool before Gundogan lifted a penalty over the crossbar after Fabinho had tripped Sterling in the box.

City took the lead four minutes after the break when Sterling went on a trademark jinking run and played in Foden whose shot was well saved by Alisson, but Gundogan was alert to fire the rebound high into the net.

The visitors looked in control but Liverpool were given a reprieve when Salah was clumsily brought down by Ruben Dias before getting up to beat Ederson from the spot.

Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp bellowed "c'mon" to his troops but they imploded.

They got lucky when John Stones had a goal ruled out for offside but Alisson then had two inexplicable lapses.

His pass out in the 73rd minute went straight to Foden who then advanced through some non-existent Liverpool tackles before drawing the keeper and squaring for Gundogan to convert.

Incredibly the Brazilian then compounded that error when he tried a casual chip but played the ball straight to Bernardo Silva who dinked a cross to Sterling to head into an empty net.

There was nothing Alisson could do, however, to stop the 20-year-old Foden's powerful finish in the 83rd minute after he cut in from the right and let fly.

Earlier, Harry Kane scored on his return from injury to help Tottenham Hotspur to a 2-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion and end a three-match losing run in the Premier League.

The England skipper's return after missing the last two games with an ankle injury was sooner than expected and Tottenham's talisman was quickly back in the groove.

After missing a couple of chances in the first half Kane struck in the 54th minute to move joint second on Tottenham's all-time scoring list alongside Bobby Smith with 208 goals.

Four minutes later Son Heung-min drove in Tottenham's second after a strong run by recalled Lucas Moura.

Tottenham moved up to seventh place with 36 points from 22 games, above Chelsea on goal difference before their match against bottom club Sheffield United.

And Wolverhampton Wanderers and Leicester City have shared the spoils in a 0-0 draw.

Wolves remain 14th, while Leicester City have missed the chance to climb to second.