Rugby Australia

Aussie legend warns NRL sides against signing Israel Folau

After Folau and Rugby Australia last week settled their legal dispute, a number of NRL clubs are reportedly now vying to bring the sacked Wallabies fullback back to the 13-man code.

The Broncos have already rejected any notion of bringing Folau back to Suncorp Stadium. However, the prospect of signing the 91-game veteran could prove tempting for a struggling NRL side.

Speaking to Australia's Big Sports Breakfast today, though, Daley outlined why Folau isn't worth the risk for any of his potential suitors to take.

Ex-Wallaby McMahon jumps ship to chase Olympic dream

McMahon started his professional rugby career with the Aussie Sevens and has 26 Test caps for the Wallabies. His last Test for Australia was against Scotland in 2017.

McMahon will begin to chase a potential Olympic Dream with the Aussie Men’s Sevens as he seeks valuable game time in Tim Walsh’s side, balancing his commitments with Suntory.

Australian Men’s Sevens head coach, Tim Walsh said: “We’re really excited to welcome Sean back to the Aussie Sevens and it’s great that he has made a commitment to the Australian jersey.

Another potential team has closed the door on Folau

CEO of South African Super Rugby franchise the Bulls, Alfonso Meyer, revealed he was contacted to gauge his interest in recruiting the former Wallaby but said Folau is simply too controversial a figure to take a risk on.

Folau and RA reached a confidential out-of-court settlement this week after he chased $14 million in compensation for what he claimed was wrongful termination when the governing body sacked him for saying on Instagram “hell awaits” gay people.

'Wildly inaccurate' - Raelene Castle denies report Israel Folau receiving $8 million payout from Rugby Australia

The Daily Telegraph reported Rugby Australia and Folau settled the former Wallaby's wrongful termination claim for the large sum after the fullback initially sought $14 million in compensation.

However, Castle has come forward on social media to deny the report.

"Folau settlement numbers are confidential but numbers being speculated are wildly inaccurate," Castle said in the short statement.

Folau sought compensation from Rugby Australia after he believed he had his contract torn up wrongfully for a code of conduct breach on social media.

Negotiations continue as Israel Folau seeks $14 million compensation package from Rugby Australia

The sacked Wallaby and his netballer wife Maria Folau went to the Federal Court in Melbourne on Monday for a mediation meeting over his $14 million compensation claim against Rugby Australia.

Folau claims he was wrongfully dismissed by Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW after a controversial Instagram post in April condemning "drunks" and "homosexuals" and warning "hell awaits" them.

His lawyer George Haro told reporters in Melbourne late on Monday evening they weren't able to reach an "amicable solution just yet.

Dave Rennie burning midnight oil to build Wallabies vision

Currently the boss of Scottish club Glasgow Warriors, Rennie has agreed a three-and-a-half-year deal as Australia's new head coach and will join the Wallabies at the end of the current UK season.

"I've got a bit of work to do from an Australian perspective," said Rennie, who was appointed in the wake of Michael Chieka's departure following the Wallabies' World Cup quarter-final exit.

"We're sorting out staff, not just coaches but the whole staffing group, and it's an extensive review.

Israel Folau claims he was in line for "possible captainship" and is now demanding $14 million from Rugby Australia

The cross-code star lodged an updated statement of claim in the Federal Court where he’s increasing his demands from $10 million to $14 million.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Folau, who was sacked for anti-gay comments made on social media this year, said his contract termination will cost him more than $4 million from 2019-21 and also claimed he stood to make up to $1.5 million a season overseas when his contract with RA was up.

Rugby Australia chief apologises for poorly behaved Wallabies

     RA chief Raelene Castle felt compelled to write a letter of apology over the behaviour of the Wallabies squad at the World Cup, according to media reports.

Tournament organisers were said to have been unhappy with a number of the Australian contingent in Japan, including former coach Michael Cheika, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The paper quotes an unnamed source, who reportedly saw Castle’s letter, in which she bids to made amends for Cheika’s criticism of World Rugby and referees, and presenting a general “us against them” attitude during the tournament.

'We have to get rid of the entire [Australian] board and start again'

David Leckie, the former chief executive of the Seven Media Group, didn’t pull any punches in his assessment of the sport’s national body, with a particular focus on Castle.

“We have to get rid of the entire board and start again,” Leckie told the Australian. “There’s not a single person on it who deserves to remain there.

“Raelene has been a total disaster. She doesn’t know rugby, she doesn’t know Australia and, judging by her time at Canterbury (Bulldogs), she doesn’t know how to manage a salary cap.

Marika Koroibete credits Michael Cheika after being awarded John Eales Medal

Koroibete paid a heartfelt tribute to Cheika after joining the modern-day greats of Australian rugby as the Wallabies’ 2019 player of the year.

In just his third season in the 15-man code after defecting from the NRL, the electric winger won the battle of the Fijian-born backs to see off Samu Kerevi and claim the Wallabies’ highest individual honour.