COVID-19 death

Fiji records second Covid-19 death

This follows the country's first fatal case last month when a 66-year-old man, who was also in border quarantine, died at Lautoka Hospital.

Local media said the latest patient had returned on a repatriation flight earlier this month and was still in quarantine where he had earlier tested positive for the coronavirus.

The man, originally from Labasa, was accorded final rites at the Drasa Muslim cemetery in Lautoka this morning.

Reports said the body of the deceased was brought to the cemetery by the Ministry of Health staff and police officers.

PNG registers fourth covid-related death

According to the newspaper The National, a 72-year-old man died this month in Port Moresby.

The National Control Centre incident manager Dr Esorom Doani said the man from Mortlock Island in Bougainville tested positive on 12 August and died two days later.

The man, who had a history of diabetes, was suffering from severe respiratory illness and was incubated and placed on ventilation before he died.

The confirmed number of Covid cases across the country has reached 361, with the coronavirus now in 11 provinces.

Fiji govt reassures public of border safety following Covid death

The Friday death of a 66 year old man came after he had contracted the coronavirus while in India undergoing medical treatment there.

Health Minister Ifereimi Waqainabete said many Fijians returning home were elderly and had serious underlying health conditions which increased the risk of mortality.

He said while the government was aware of the risk that some of citizens may have contracted the potentially deadly virus abroad, the health ministry had prepared accordingly.

Fiji records first COVID-19 death

At a press conference today (Friday), the Minister for Health Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete said the man had returned from India where he had recently undergone cardiac-related surgery.

The man contracted COVID-19 in India.

There were nine border quarantine cases reported from Fijians who were repatriated from India on 1 July.

The cases were confirmed on 20 July.

According to Dr Waqainabete, each of the patients have been securely isolated and have not had any contact with the public.

There has been no new COVID-19 case since 20 July.

Coronavirus: First death in New Zealand from Covid-19

Dr Bloomfield said New Zealand had its first death after a woman who was initially diagnosed with influenza died.

The woman who died was in her 70s, from the West Coast. She died this morning.

"Understandably the family would like to take their time to grieve," Dr Bloomfield said.

"This latest sad news reinforces our move to alert level four."

He said 21 DHB staff who treated the woman when her diagnosis was thought to be influenza had been asked to self-isolate.

Guam confirms Pacific's first Covid-19 death

Dr Mike Cruz, the government official leading the coronavirus response, said the woman was a relative of a person who recently returned to the territory with Covid-19.

He said the woman had "multiple co-morbidities", including end-stage renal disease, which compromised her immune system.

Dr Cruz said there are 15 confirmed cases of the virus on Guam, with the government on Sunday morning declaring a major disaster.